Is the Sainik School Kazhakootam campus slowly becoming a glorified junk-yard of our vintage armaments ? Going by the regularity at which war-hulks from vintage years keep popping up at different corners of the campus through the years, one can’t help but wonder bemusedly.
With the latest addition ( we are talking about June 2013 ) here, these are what we have on campus as permanent exhibits :
- A Harvard Mk IV Trainer [ the Patriarch (!) who finally has found his final resting place flanking the School Auditorium. ]
- An HAL HF-24 Marut, slightly away from the Patriarch [
identified as D 1227 from old photographsDisputed.]
- A Vijayanta Mark I battle tank, further down the Marut Jet [ a 1971 Indo-Pak war veteran with its main gun still “hot” ]
- Two RZ-13 SAMs ( Surface to Air Missiles ), fixed flanking the battle tank
- An HAL HPT-32 Deepak, right where the old Boxing Ring had been, flanking the VKK Auditorium on the other side.
- Two ship propellers.
The Outdoor Boxing Ring – Now History.
The Harvard was brought in the 70’s into the Sainik School campus, the Marut somewhere in
2007 or early 2008 1990 – 91 ( Thanks Neel ! ), the battle tank in mid-2012 and the HPT-32 in June 2013. Wish these relics in the campus, rather than stay as vanity show pieces, also become subjects of curiosity and learning – there is a lot of history and physics there, for starters, if you ask us.
We also hope they be maintained well rather than become the cannibalised hulk the Harvard ended up in its tenure at the Campus.